'Let Me In' - Now Playing at the PNCA Auditorium, Islamabad

'Let Me In' - Now Playing at the PNCA Auditorium, Islamabad
Click on the image to visit the play's official Facebook group.

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Man Behind the Living Picture's Latest Play

Hello again!

So I said I wanted to talk about the play and reveal a little something as to what it’s about. First clue: I
already gave you a hint about this project in my first ever post on this blog (meaning it’s been in the pipeline for the past two years). Second clue: the play is a homage to one of the great literary geniuses of our time. If you deciphered the first clue, you know who I’m talking about. If not, well - do you know this man?

He calls himself “the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries” but that’s just a clever disguise. In reality, he’s the best thing that happened to horror fiction since Edgar Allan Poe.

Meet Stephen King. Now, those who are acquainted with me know that, to me, the man is… well, not a man at all but a god. God of the macabre. I am his Constant Reader, his number one fan... Is it very Norman Bates of me to be honoured that It was released the same year as my birth?

When you think ‘nightmare on paper’ you think Stephen King. The characters that he has created; the terror that he instills in you without the convenience of sound-effects, without relying on the aid of visuals – it’s phenomenal. My sister Michelle Apa
was the one who hooked me on to his writing – I remember reading The Shining and being unable to sleep for weeks. I’ve been infatuated with the word ‘redrum’ (flip the word, voila!) ever since; it was almost the title of my new play. I could read Misery, Salem’s Lot, It, Needful Things – hell, his whole collection countless times and yet find something I missed in the previous read. A phrase, a line, a description. His is a dark and powerful mind. (My favourite Stephen King novel, by the way, has got to be The Long Walk, which was one of the books he wrote under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. The Regulators, The Shining and It are second favourites. Yes, tied.)

So if you are, like me, a fan of the venerable Mr. Bachman, I can promise you this: you do not want to miss this play. Naturally, nothing I write is ever going to do his work justice. But for my part, I’m trying my best to stay true to the spirit of his work. Can’t comment on how it’s all turned out, non-objective eye and all, but fingers, toes, everything crossed. I'd like to fantasize about how, in an ideal world, Stephen King would hear of the play, attend one of the performances, find it brilliant – and then I'd disappear the next day and emerge as a new character in his (possible) upcoming novel,
Doctor Sleep (intended to be a sequel to The Shining).

Whether he would do that, or just lump me with Stephenie Meyer, come and see for yourself!

Even if you are not yet familiar with King’s works (what're you waiting for?!) - but you fancy a good scare, or are fascinated by things dark and supernatural, come see the play! It promises to be quite a ride, I can tell you that. We’re about two weeks to showtime, and as is usual at this stage, I’m going insane – but I’m also really excited about this one.
The Good Doctor was a ghoulish, macabre play as well, but this one is something altogether new. Something I’ve never done before. Something Islamabad hasn’t seen before. So it’s going to be exciting to see how it goes.

Wish me luck! Will write more soon!

Obi.

P.S. Although Stephen King has my undying love and loyalty – dare I say it? – I
liked ‘Twilight’! I read all the books in one go. =D

1 comment:

Fareeha said...

Lovers of the H O R R O R! switch off the lights!!

It's Stephen King, correct me if I am wrong, Sir: "an Exorcist kind of guy". I can't write much but simply recite the nursery rhyme, an alt-rhyme from A Nightmare on Elm Street :-


One, two, Freddy’s coming for you.

Three, four, better lock your door.

Five, six, grab a crucifix.

Seven, eight, gonna wake up late.

Nine, ten. Never sleep again.

(..picked it from your note )...and now, let me say that, anybody can guess your mood this fall. You know ? whatever is your mood but we all "the lovers of horror " gonna be the beneficiaries of the newest play coming our way on the 17th of October, directed by Osman Khalid Butt called 'Let me in' ! You will be a fool to miss it. .... best of luck from my side.