'Let Me In' - Now Playing at the PNCA Auditorium, Islamabad

'Let Me In' - Now Playing at the PNCA Auditorium, Islamabad
Click on the image to visit the play's official Facebook group.

Friday, September 26, 2008

The Boy with the Backward Chakra

Right. Its 1:40 pm and its now been 20 hours since I’ve slept. And here I am, writing a Welcome message, right when Roza’s hitting me where it hurts.

My name is Osman Khalid Butt, and I direct plays. Or try to. Managed to pull off three: two last year, and one this year – and, well, its like I woke up one day and thought: wouldn’t it be neat, instead of doing a fourth play this Winter, to do a fourth, fifth and sixth play in the same time frame?

You’ll see the poster above – it’s only further fueled my dementia. You see, the reason I haven’t slept this past night is because I was up designing this work of art/modern masterpiece/trash/call-it-whatever-you-like: sticks-and-stones-sticks-and-stones, and I was all giddy about it till about 10 minutes ago. Then I just started to feel nauseous.

There’s a part of me, though, that’s excited – and not to hear the comments on said poster (especially not Waqas’s – critique extraordinaire and self-proclaimed ego-puncturer) – but because it’s all about to begin. Once again. Hesitant callers asking millions of questions, the nervousness/excitement you see on all potential actors – the grueling session of auditions themselves that I’m now infamous for: practically the best part of putting up a play for any director. The rest is torture. But more on that later.

For now, welcome, Constant Reader. I begin this blog will blatant plagiarism. Brownie points for guessing which term is a direct lift-off from a famous author’s catchphrase. Decipher the clue and you just may be one step closer to finding out what these plays (that I usually, in case of all previous ones, keep shrouded in mystery till the cast is finalized) might be about.

Till the next time we meet,
I remain
Osman Khalid Butt (alias Obi)

8 comments:

taha said...

hi osama!!!!!my name is taha and im from islamabad. actually im very fond ov ur plays and i really wish to work with u ppl 2 but t b honest im bit hesitenet i dont know whether ill b able to pass ur auditions or not !!!!!!!

Fahim Akhter said...

The posters Pretty different and neat, love it. ( though till the end seemed to go just a bit over board ) Like the concept.

Anyways, really good to see a blog going up to see all the updates going around in Obi's mind ( hopefully, the clean one's only ) so congrats on a pretty sleek design and a very well written first post.

So basically three plays mean, i have to buy three tickets ? ;p Doh!

pakirebel said...

Thumbs UP

Harris-ejaz said...

I've read a few King books in my time, Obi.

Anonymous said...

u sound like an arrogant asshole

Osman said...

Correction: I read like an arrogant asshole. =D

~ Tulu-e-Sahar ~ said...

Nice work..
Have seen some of your vlogs..
You rock man..
May ALLAH bless you at every step of your life..
AAMEEN..

- SQ.

Ayesha Malik said...

Lovely!!!! Would love to see your plays someday...